Currently we are facing the Windows Operating System expires issue in the Microsoft Dynamics AX VPC Refresh 1. The OS is Windows 2003 R2 with SP2 evaluation copy and has expired since 7/7/2010. Later than 7 Jun, the VPC will restart automatically every 2 hours around.
We are using standard Microsoft Dynamics AX VPC for demo and test purpose. For different clients, we need to build different AX application and development in varies of VPCs. It will take a lot of time to move those applications to the new VPC Refresh 2 R2 and require more work when R2 expires in Dec 2010.
Due to the OS expires issue, we plan to use the current Refresh 1 VPC and upgrade once. It takes time to do it but we won’t need to do it any more after that.
Here are the steps to upgrade the OS in Microsoft Dynamics AX VPC from evaluation copy to RTM version:
1. download or prepare Windows 2003 Enterprise Version R2 with SP2 DVD. As we are one of Microsoft Golden Partners in Australia, we can download the OS and CD-Keys from Microsoft MSDN website for free.
2. Uninstall the .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5
3. Insert the Windows 2003 Enterprise Version R2 with SP2 Disk 1 DVD into the VPC and choose Upgrade option to install the Windows 2003 OS
4. After upgrading the system successfully, install additional components using the Windows 2003 Enterprise Version R2 with SP2 Disk 2 DVD.
5. Install .Net Framework 3.5 (.Net Framework 20 may need to be installed as well) which is required by Microsoft Dynamics AX